Friday, June 6, 2008

Well Check to Bronchitis

I took Lilly in for her 6 month visit today and we left with a little more than expected. She'd had a cough for a little while but I assumed that she was fine and so I wasn't too worried about it. We've all been sick lately so I figured she just had what we all had. She also just cut her two bottom teeth and so I figured it was all related. Anyway, as the pediatrician was listening to her he took an extra long time listening to her lungs. He kept squeezing her chest and listening and then told me she has bronchitis. He said it wasn't quite as bad as pneumonia but he was pretty sure it was at least bronchitis. He said it's hard to tell with infants but that he still wanted her on an antibiotic. He also said that he wanted to go with something stronger than amoxicillin so Lilly has now joined become the last member of being in a family in which every member is on an antibiotic. Fun times in our house.

Sophia finished hers today and is feeling a lot better and Doug is feeling better as well. I'm slowly starting to get there. I'm just still so dang tired. I went into my doctor again last week (I've been in about every week for the past 5 weeks) and he put me on a stronger antibiotic (that was a whopping $80 for 20 pills! - I love our catastrophe insurance plan and sorry Doug!). He also checked my thyroid but I haven't heard the results on that yet. Anyway, I'm sleeping in the basement tonight all alone and my wonderful husband is on kid duty. I have got to start feeling better soon and I know that a good night's rest might help make the difference. If I don't start to see some improvement within the next few weeks we are seriously considered having our house checked for mold or something else. We've already had it tested for carbon monoxide and we've even had our water tested (we're a little paranoid). We would have had the air quality checked (for mold) by now too except for they estimate it would cost about $300-$400 and we're not sure we're ready to dish out that kind of money yet. Stay tuned though and maybe you'll see the results from that test in a few weeks. Let's hope not though!

Hope you're all doing better than we are at the moment and in case you're curious, Lilly was 14 lbs(14 %ile for wt) and 70 %ile for height. She's a tall skinny thing just like her sister.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

Awwww, Jo... I'm so sorry to hear about everyone being sick! I'm glad you gave a real account of things so I know what's going on with you. It's easy to see all the cute and fun shots and assume everything is great. You are such a go-getter, I'm sure it's hard for you to be down! I hope the rest helps and it's nothing serious. Keep us posted.

ottspot said...

Seriously Jo that is weird! Hope you all just have a round of spring colds and don't have to start tearing down walls or ceilings or anything. Good job for taking kid duty Doug!

ottspot said...

Oh yeah...my mom had a bout with unidentified symptoms and lots of fatigue several years ago...they eventually decided the culprit was probably Lyme Disease from a tick bite...just a thought to add to the list of things you are probably already worried about. But just in case.

The Ullery Family said...

Lilly really is a good baby isn't she. I mean, we've seen her lately and she seems so happy, not sick at all. Let us know if you need something. I'm ready for a girls night at Wales without babies. I could use a good nights sleep as well. I love Lilly's face in her picture. She has the best expressions. All her band aids make me sad. I HATE shot day.

harmony said...

Sorry to hear about all the sickness. We bought a mold test at Home Depot and it said with two tests you can check the air for mold. It was $9 bucks. It might be worth a try. Hopefully you will feel better soon. Sleeping can really help although that may be next to impossible with young kids. Good luck.

The Three Musketeers and their Mommy said...

That is so miserable that you have all been so sick! To tell you the truth, we have all gone through some serious sickness this fall/winter/spring too (again and again and again). It is the worst! Especially when you are so sick and then you have to take care of sick kids. I hope you all get feeling better soon! I am the same way about wanting to get things tested. It is so fun to see how your girls are growing. They are darling!

Mylissa 2 said...

Joanna, you failed to mention that you also had a blog, good thing I can find them!!! I hope your family gets better. I don't think there is anything left to get! Call me if you need anything!