Saturday, November 6, 2010

Sophia's Piano Recital

Sophia had her very first piano recital last night. I was a little worried about starting her so young but she seems to be doing great and she loves going every week.

She was pretty nervous before hand but we were positive about it and told her she was going to do great. Right before she left she said, "It will be a little scary but not that scary and I'll be brave".

When we got there she saw the crowd and wouldn't even go in the door. Her teacher is amazing and spent some time with her getting her ready. She came and sat by me but when it was her turn she completely grabbed onto my leg and her teacher dragged her up there. She at least was brave enough to sit on the bench but this is how it went (an no that's not her playing - that would be her teacher accompanying silence)

During the rest of the recital she pretty much bawled (while Mabel cried and Lilly fell face first off of her chair - where was Doug? Young Men Campout. Hooray)

After a little coaxing, bribing (she got to pick out a Zhu Zhu pet after because they were out of mermaid barbies) and tough love. She decided she wanted to try again. Luckily her teacher was nice enough to let her and her reprise was much better. She said she only wanted to play one time instead of two but that was fine with me! I was just proud of her for doing it.

So there she is playing "Fuzzy Wuzzy" - they play a lot of classics. After she was done she kept saying things like, "I'm just so glad I did that" and " so many people just kept telling me I did a great job" and "I was just a little scared but then I just believed in myself and I did it!" We really were proud and she did awesome.

Here she is with her AMAZING teacher after. She's also our Primary President and she really is the best! Sophia's lucky to be taking from her and I'm so glad she let her start so young.
One more side note: If you notice she took off her sweater for the second performance (to dry her eyes). I didn't realize until we were at the store after that I never buttoned up her dress in the back! Sorry for all of you who not only had to witness the tears but got to witness the exposed back too! I'm a little embarassed. Oh well. It's pretty typical.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

OOOHHHHH I Loved this!! GO SOPHIE!! Oh wow- it always happens like this and it always happens that daddy is out of town- huh! But we are proud of Sophie and think she did a great job. What a great teacher too! Way to go tough love :)

Nancy said...

That brings back some memories. I probably had something like 20 piano recitals growing up, and the first one is definitely the worst! She was pretty brave to get up and play. Tell her they each get better as they go. Your kids are super cute and getting so big. Mabel is getting big so fast! Im sure your girls have so much fun playing with her all day!

stu said...

Way to go Sophia. Not easy to get up in front of all those big people.