Sunday, May 20, 2012

More Camping Adventures!

This weekend we went camping with the tax department at Doug's company.  One of his bosses owns some property in Grover (just outside Capitol Reef) and has an annual campout there.  We've gone the last 4 years and have always had a great time.  This is what his property is like.  I think it's beautiful and relaxing.
When we got there it rained for a good couple of hours but luckily one of his co-workers had a pop-up trailer and was nice enough to let us hang out in there.    Here's a funny moment from the trip.  While Doug and I were setting up the tent in the hail and wind the girls waited in the car.  When we got back in Sophia was in the drivers seat we told her she was now Dad and we'd act like the kids.  She said "ok.  I know how to act like dad.  'Shut your hole!'" Even though it was not very appropriate it sure gave us a laugh!  Especially because that is not something Doug says very often.  Aside from being a little chilly at night we all slept pretty good.  The next morning while Doug and I put the tent away the girls entertained themselves in the car.  Apparently Mabel came across some markers.
After breakfast and packing up we headed into Capitol Reef to hike down the Sulfur Creek Trail.  It was a lot of fun.  Here we are getting ready to head out.
 Mabel did ok on my back but definitely preferred riding with her daddy.
 Here's Sophia with a flower she found by the trail.
 A happy Bones!
 Strike a pose Sophia!
At a few points we had to climb down some waterfalls like the one below.  Here we are at the bottom.

Side not about all the water.  I thought we would be crossing the creek just a few times and didn't realize we would actually walk down it for most of the hike.  When we came to the first crossing I had Doug carry the girls across.  Then at the next one I made them take their socks off and then we walked through it. After that they pretty much walked through the river for awhile and then Sophia started to get blisters on the backs of her heels.  We stopped to put her socks on and found out they had fallen out of the backpack.  We tried bandaids but they kept falling off and she pretty much was refusing to go any farther.  I was wearing a GPS watch and knew we'd only gone about a mile since they took their socks off. We all stopped for lunch and while they were eating I decided (because I'm a genius) to run back up the trail to find the socks (mine had fallen out too and the back of my heel was starting to bleed as well).  I started running and immediately tripped and went flying.  I banged my shin up pretty good but kept running to get the dang socks.  Luckily they were only about 2/3 of a mile back.  I grabbed them and then hurried to run back to join everyone so they wouldn't have to keep waiting for us.  Doug said they wanted to wait for us because we would need help getting down some of the waterfalls.  We definitely needed the help and I was glad they waited (even though I felt bad holding them up!)

2 cute sisters with soaking wet pants and shoes.  They actually did really well on the hike and though it was pretty fun to walk through the water.
This little one finally tuckered out and decided a nap was a good idea.
 This is pretty much what we walked through the whole time.  It was actually pretty refreshing.
 Here we are toward the end of the trail with The Castle in the background.
Overall it was a fun hike and another successful camping trip!  P.S. We also stopped at Mom's Cafe in Salina on the way home which definitely made the trip worth it!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

WOW Way to run to save socks- you deserve an award! I LOVE the Sophie being dad story- that is one that will live on! Glad you guys had fun. You look fabulous! And I really think Mable looks like Lucas- but it could just be they are a similar age.