Sunday, September 16, 2012

Feeling Blessed

We had kind of a crazy thing happen this week so I wanted to document it.  Let me just preface this by saying that I am not trying to brag and that we are not rich by any stretch of the imagination.  On Friday Doug called me to see if I'd done anything to our mutual fund account.  I assured him that I didn't even know to access the account so I was pretty sure that I hadn't.  He said that it was empty and so he was a little concerned about it.  He saw the money come out the day that some was supposed to go in so he thought they had made a mistake somehow and accidentally took the money out.  We checked our bank account and didn't see the money in there either.  He called the company and found out that they sent us a letter in June saying that if accounts were below a certain amount then they were going to close them and issue checks to everyone. The minimum balance was really not very high and we didn't have much in there to begin with so apparently our account qualified for that.  We hadn't seen the letter because I usually throw things from them away because it's usually something like a privacy notice or notice of a board member change or something so I don't bother to open them. Anyway, this week we kind of forgot to take our garbage out (did I really take a pic of our garbage?!) and I had cleaned out one of our sheds so it was seriously overflowing and looked like this (and I raked up our acorns yesterday so it's even worse than this now). 
Anyway, when I would pick up the mail this week I just left it in the car because I was lazy and because I didn't want to burden our poor garbage can with more garbage.  Also, when Doug was talking to the mutual fund company earlier they said they sent the check out on Monday so we probably should have received it this week.  I told him I most likely had thrown it away (because I usually do) but then I remembered that all the mail from the week had accumulated in the car!  We went and checked and sure enough, the check was there.  It was just kind of crazy that Doug happened to check the account and discover the issue the same week that I didn't throw out the mail each day. I know that sounds sort of silly but we really felt a little bit blessed and that there was a greater power involved.  I know that eventually we would have been able to have another check issued or something but it's nice to know we didn't have to go through all that hassle.  Anyway, I'm just grateful for small blessings in my life and to know that we're being watched over.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Yay! I love stories like this. Glad it all worked out! What a relief! And glad someone didn't steal it either.