Monday, April 26, 2010

Sewing and Such

I recently picked up a sewing machine (thanks again Jen!) from DI - don't judge. It was cheap at it really works great! It's an old metal Singer built in to a table similar to the one my moms has (her's is still better and will always be the best machine in my opinion). Anyway, it's super sturdy and after a quick tune up it really is working great and doing everything I need it to (which is pretty much just a straight stitch). Anyway, here's a few things I've made so far. I attempted this pillow and I think it turned out okay. I probably should have picked a different material and I think I would have not spaced the pleats so close together. Oh well. It works.
While we were potty training Sophia a few years ago, we promised her an animal from Build a Bear once she was done. We finally made good on our promise (once again, don't judge) and took her there on tax day (I made a promise to myself that I'd do it during tax season so it was in the knick of time). Anyway, she picked this beautiful enchanted pony that she just loves. She was looking at all the accessories and dress ups for it and I realized the things she loved the most looked pretty easy to make and I was determined to figure it out. I thought it turned out okay. They used a gold material that matched the hooves but I'm cheap and pulled this silvery stuff from my mom's stash. Sophia was satisfied so that's all that matters.

My next project is some curtains and pillows for the girls' new room. We decided to move them to another room and give the baby their old room. We're going to use Doug's old big red bunk bed so I've decided to do a Wizard of Oz theme. I have some fun ideas I'm excited about and can't wait to get started on it (I've also had some serious nesting kick in). I'll be sure to post pictures when it's complete!
Here's a bonus one of the girls. They got all set up with their animals and baby and wanted me to take a picture and I couldn't resist.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Awesome Jo! What a great way to get a sewing machine. So the girls are moving downstairs? Hope that goes ok! Next baby at our house means the girls are in bunk beds too. I can't wait to see the Wizard of Oz ideas!

Jennifer Lyn said...

So cute! I am so glad that machine worked out for you! I am excited to see your girls' room.

Nancy said...

I'm so glad u got a sewing machine. Way to let your creativity fly!