Saturday, February 26, 2011

Happy Birthday Grandma Ivins!

Doug's cute Grandma turned 86 this week and had a party to celebrate! It was so fun and adults only (with the exception of the Mabes) which made it extra fun! Here's a beautiful cake they had made for her. The flowers on top are out of fondant. Beautiful!
His aunt did a ton of work with the decorating and centerpieces. It all turned out so good!

Everyone got one of these cute party favor boxes/place settings.
Inside there was chili sauce and her recipe, two spoons from her spoon collection (one from Doug's birth year and one from China), birdseed with a cute note that said "Every Birdie Welcome" because she loves to include everyone at everything, a collapsing animal thing with her motto "Be Flexible", a packet of flower seeds and picture of her gardening sons and her flowers, fortune cookies to represent their Thursday lunches (which often include Chinese food), a picture of her outside the temple on the day she went back (after 67 years!) and a box of her homemade toffee and peanut butter cups. It was all such a cute idea!
Here she is telling what each thing was in the box. Halfway through the party she went and put on this robe she always wears. She said that it coordinated with her outfit so it was okay to wear it to the party. She's so cute. Here she is cutting her cake.
Here's Mabel and Grandpa Wilkins. We felt bad being the only ones there with a baby but she really did pretty good.
Grandma and Mabel.
4 generations.
And here's Doug's mom and her siblings with grandma.
This was my contibution to the party. I am the tiniest bit obsessed with Cupcake Wars and jumped at the chance to have an excuse to make some.
These ones were chocolate hazelnut. I put Nutella in the batter and frosting. I also frosted them with Nutella and dipped them in chopped hazelnuts before I added the frosting. I hope that Florian would have been impressed. He is hard to please though.
These ones were rootbeer. My friend made them a few months ago and they were delicious! There was rootbeer flavoring in the batter and then they were filled with a rootbeer caramel. I topped them with rootbeer flavored buttercream. I know it sounds weird but they were good!
Anyway, Happy Birthday again Grandma Ivins! Thanks to everyone for their hard work (and to Lauren for watching our kids!)!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh! That is the cutest party ever! I love all the decorations and that cake is amazing! WOW. The boxes are the cutest ever- what a clever idea. How sweet- I want one of those for my birthday when I'm that old- so remember that little sis. Your cupcakes look DELICIOUS!! Florian would be impressed I just know it.I love cupcake wars too and am dying to try your chocolate hazelnut ones. YUMMERS!!

ottspot said...

What a cute party! The boxes really were very sweet.

I need a party to plan - maybe I should start working on our 30th..ha ha.

stu said...

Wow, those cupcakes look awesome. If you ever need an excuse to make me some cupcakes I'm sure I can think up a few.

Lauren said...

Wow what a party! It's fun to see the pictures. His grandma is so cute. I feel special to have gotten some cupcakes. :)