Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Red

Red
By Douglas Wilkins
Red is the color of Valentine's Day.

It's the color of love, hearts, and rose bouquets.

Oh, but to me, red is more than a color today

It represents our love and what made it that way.

The following girts, all red in their color,

Remind me of times we've had with each other.

The ball is the first, and I'll never forget.

The way that you kicked it the first night we met.

It also reminds me of times spent outdoors,

Playing in parks, or roasting up smores.

Second's the pen and a paper to write

Letters keeping me warm on cold Swedish nights.

Third come the slippers and oddly enough,

They remind me of walking and snuggling up.

Oh, all the hikes and roads we have walked
Making adventures as together we talked.

These slippers remind me of holding your hand

As we, in white slippers, exchanged wedding bands.

Fourth, the towel reminds me of how clean and how pure

You, my wife and sweetheart, really are.

Fifth comes the car, as red and as shiny

As my BYU car. Boy, that was sure tiny.

It also brings back very fond memories

Of driving to Canada and AAA emergencies.

Sixth are the pans, and not a moment too soon.

Our others are tattered, worn, and in ruin.

Since cooking and eating are favorite pastimes

I'm sure these pans will get used just fine.

We've cooked and we've baked many an entree

And many a culinary craft you have taught me.

Lastly are wipes for cleaning messes and wiping the bums

Of three little girls, I'm glad they're not sons

'Cause these three little girls are lucky 'lil buggers

They're blessed to have you as a model of mother.

So as you can see, red is more than a color,

It symbolizes my love for you, no other.

Oh how I love that boy! We had a relaxing night with homemade Chicken Bryan (chicken with goat cheese and sun dried tomatoes), asparagus, Blood Orange Sparkling Lemonade (from Sunflower Market) and this for dessert. We've tried to duplicate this cake a number of times and this, by far, was the best it's ever turned out. We topped it off with some chocolate and hazelnut gelato from Terra Mia and it really was divine. I'm drooling right now just thinking about it! So yum.

We also watched "Charlie St. Cloud" which was uber weird and a little spooky. Not quite the Valentine's Day flick. Oh well.
Last week I helped in Sophia's class for their Valentine party. The mom in charge did so much work including making these bag/boxes for each child in the class! She wrapped cereal boxes with paper and the kids got to decorate their faces. She also had 4 stations where they wrote a valentine to the teacher, decorated a sugar cookie (she had individual bags of frosting for every child), made a valentine to take home and played valentine bean bag toss (complete with heart shaped bean bags made out of cute valentine fabric). Amazing! So much work and the kids had such a blast. What talent.
One of the girls in Sophia's class had her hair like this so we copied it for church Sunday. It was acutally way easy to do and pretty cute. I hope you all had a fabulous Valentine's Day!

7 comments:

The Favorite said...

That is the best ever!!
You have such a great husband. Mine took us to Cold Stone...
Love it!

ottspot said...

That Douglas...he's a keeper!

Alice-Anne said...

wow...what thoughtful V-day gifts/poem. So beautiful! I struggle giving something sentimental so thanks for sharing...I'll do better in the future! :) Glad you had a wonderful day!

Lauren said...

I was thinking the same phrase, Erin... Oh that Douglas! He has always been so sweet to you, and I'm impressed by his culinary skills (I didn't know guys cooked? :)

Jennifer Lyn said...

What a fun day! I am surprised doug pulled that out during tax season! Good luck!

Melissa said...

Oh- Doug is the best! That is the sweetest gift ever- how thoughtful. I love it. I love Sophies hair!! Maybe you can do that to mine when we get together next.

stu said...

That Doug keep raising the bar for us husbands. Very sweet.