Wednesday, September 14, 2011

More Grandma Ivins Remembrances

Last Sunday we went with Doug's family to Grandma's House one last time to take a few pictures. We were coming from a baby blessing and weren't quite prepared so all of these are taken with my phone. His brother took a good long video of the house and hopefully we'll be able to get a copy of it (hint hint Brian. JK). Here's the front of her house (and Leda and David).

This is my cute niece Kaleen sitting on the rock where my father-in-law first kissed my mother-in-law. It was pretty cute to hear the story. My mother-in-law said that after that night her dad told her that she could have that rock someday. I thought that was cute and I hope she actually does get it!Here we are in front of her house.We went through the house and took a few last pictures of some of the treasures. This is her wedding dress. My mother-in-law said she bought it for $9. She also weighed less than 90 pounds when she wore it! We're pretty sure that Kaleen (pictured above) would be the only one who would fit in it now.This is her wedding dress and Doug's grandpa's army suit that he was married in. It was kind of fun to see these side by side.


This arrangement as from Doug's mom and her siblings. The birdhouse is one that she hung outside in her beautiful flower garden. I know it doesn't look like it but the beautiful Lilly in the middle (pink with white edges) was bigger than my opened hand. It was gorgeous!
This is one her curio cabinets with some fun treasures.
And this kids had fun playing with her awesome car track one more time. This was the definite toy of choice for any child that came to her house. I wish I would have taken a picture of this whole room because I have so many memories here. There were many showers, celebrations and parties held in this room.


Monday night we went to Doug's parents house for Family Home Evening. We talked a little bit about Grandma and Doug's dad asked us all what some of our favorite memories of her are. He encouraged us to go home and write them down as well. I thought this would be the perfect place to do that.

-Sophia remembered that she always had a piece of candy to share.

-she had beautiful flowers and took great care and pride in her beds and gardens. A few months ago we were up by her house and stopped by to see her flowers. It was so fun to walk around with her and have her identify everything. She was so proud of it and you could tell how happy it made her. This is part of the reason why Doug didn't want to say goodbye to her at the hospital. He wanted to remember her this way. I think that's great!

-I love all the bridal and baby showers that were held in her great room. It was so fun that even though I wasn't one of her "blood grandchildren" it was fun to still be included in this and to be honored at a few of these events.

-there were many Halloween, Christmas and Easter parties held at her house. I loved waiting for Santa to make his big entrance in the big room and egg hunts in the backyard.

-one of my favorite memories was seeing her dressed up as an AF cheerleader (I think) for Halloween. She was even complete with a pony tail hair piece. That woman loved to party! I loved how she got into each and every holiday and would do anything to make people smile.

-I also loved going to her house mid-morning on Christmas for finger foods and to see her beautiful tree! Of course the real reason why any of us went (aside from picking up our restaurant gift card) was to get a piece of her toffee! She made a mean toffee. No matter how many times I try I just can not replicate it! Apparently I'm not adding the right amount of love.


I know there are many more memories that I could share but I'll stop now. One of my brothers-in-law mentioned the time that he first met her. He said she was so impressed by how immediate her love was. Even though she just met you, you knew that she loved you and that you were welcome into her family. That's so true. Her door was always open for everyone and she definitely had not prejudices. She really was an amazing woman and set and incredible example for all of us. We love you grandma!

No comments: