Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Labor Day and the Latest

The other day I hadn't heard from this little cutie for awhile. I went to check on her and found her here. She had totally gotten some books and climbed up on the chaise in her room to read them. She's getting too big! I took this last week in the middle of the day. She had been begging me all afternoon to make popcorn and when I finally went to get her some I found her like this. I seriously don't know how she could sleep like that.Now onto the weekend. We had an okay weekend. We put up the fall decor (we'll wait on Halloween for a few weeks) which is always funAnd noticed that our flowers have been loving the cooler weather. I'm so happy to see them finally bloom! Too bad they'll probably freeze in a few weeks.
We also took advantage of a few Golden Onion Days festivities. Doug had to work on the holiday but the kids were begging me to go to the parade and the carnival so I got brave and took them by myself. Here we are waiting for the parade to start.
Here were a few of our favorite guys we always love to see in a parade.After the parade we headed to the carnival. I was totally disgusted by the price of tickets for 1 ride so I made them pick one ride they wanted to ride. I know I'm mean like that but I'm also cheap like that.
They picked this one and had a pretty good time. After that I let them play on the swings and slides in the park. It was free and like I said, I'm cheap like that. They had fun all the same.
After the fun in the park we came home to bottle some peaches. It was fun to have a few helpers this year!Today this little sweetie started preschool. She goes to one in our neighborhood and was so excited to start! In case you can see the beautiful shiners on her nose and forehead, no we don't beat our children. She fell twice on the way to church Sunday. I promise! We did have one sad thing this weekend. Yesterday we lost this sweet lady. Grandma Ivins was Doug's grandma.We're so happy for her that she's back with her husband after 21 years and with a brother who passed away the day before. Even though she'd been declining it happened kind of suddenly. Doug's parents were at our house for the game on Saturday when they got a call from one of his aunts saying that grandma wasn't feeling well and that they were going to get her checked out. We thought she'd be okay but knew that it was in the Lord's hands. She lived a great life and was an amazing woman. Last summer she went back to the temple after 67 years. She accomplished a lot in her life and left an amazing legacy. She will definitely be missed and as Doug's sister said "the world will never be the same without her." One of Doug's cousins (hope you don't mind that I share this Amy) said this about that sweet lady "Christmas Party, Thursdays, gatherings at the Ivins house, St. George, Coronado, the cabin, family reunions, polka dot robe, chocolate chip cookies, JellyBellys, mini rocking chair, tradition, Live-Love-Laugh, toy room, beauty, bridge, hair appointment, ice cream cones, hugs= Grandma." I couldn't agree more. Even though she wasn't my grandma by blood, I felt lucky to have married into this family and to claim her as my own grandma. We told our kids about it and Sophia said "She was a nice girl." Well spoken Sophia. We love you grandma and can't wait to see you again!

4 comments:

Donace said...

We only let the kids go on 1 ride on Monday too. It's way to expensive. Next year go on Friday. All rides are only 1 ticket. That's always the day we do the rides!!!

The Favorite said...

Cute post! Love the fall, love the parade. Love your girls!

Lauren said...

Sorry to hear about Grandma Ivins. It's neat though that you were able to have that party for her recently and celebrate her life while she was still here.

Happy fall!

Melissa said...

Fun weekend- you are not a cheap mom- you are a smart mom. I love that you were canning peaches together. I still haven't canned anything! I'm so lazy. I love those sweet words about Grandma Ivins! I thought the same about Brandon's grandma and I think I cried more than him at her funeral! I'm such a baby at funerals!!