Sunday, February 19, 2012

Before and Afters & Aquarium

We've been going a little stir crazy as we try to get through tax season and the February blahs and so I've taken on a few projects. This one I have been meaning to do for years. We scored these hutches at a garage sale for $15 a piece a few years ago. I love them and how much storage space they have but I don't love how you can see everything and it's not so much organized all of the time. I thought about putting some kind of fabric curtain over the bottom half or something but decided wood doors would be best. Here's the brown one before and after. I was actually surprised at how closely I was able to match the stain (thanks to the guy at our local hardware store). I'm not sure it's really an improvement but I'm also not sure it's any worse.

Here's the black one before.and after.
Just don't look too close. The doors don't so much close all the way but that will be an after tax season project for Doug and it does the job for now. Overall I'm glad I did it but was kind of annoyed that they don't close very well and that it cost way more than I was planning on (hardware is expensive!). Oh well. I've learned my lesson. Wait until I have Doug's help for things like this!

We've been doins Super Surprise Saturdays to keep us entertained as well and so yesterday I took the girls to the aquarium. We were so excited to see the river otters. They were way cute! Here' Sophia (and her kind of creepy face) by the exhibit.One of the cute otters. They were so playful and active. It was awesome. The exhibit was really cool too. They had this window thing in part of the exhibit (kind of like at the prairie dog exhibit at the zoo) where you could put head up and be in the middle of the otter action. It was pretty fun.


Sophia's favorite part of the aquarium. Touching all the crabs and starfishes.

The girls on the boat.

We discovered a room full of interactive things that they loved too.

To top off the fun weekend we woke up to about 4 inches of snow this morning! Looks like we will get winter after all. We enjoyed some homemade hot chocolate, this (they were pretty tasty), and these beauties (so glad I got them out to rise last night). They were huge! That's six of them on a regular sized baking sheet. Rhode's sure does know how to make a good cinnamon roll!

3 comments:

The Favorite said...

Umm cinnamon rolls aren't healthy..
I'm glad you got to go to the aquarium. When did they get otters? ! !
We'll have to go.

ottspot said...

I just made those same Rhodes cinnamon rolls on Super Bowl Sunday. I as a little disappointed when I took them out of the bag but then they went crazy!

Stacy Risenmay said...

I think you cabinets look great!!!