Monday, February 13, 2012

Classes

We've been getting creative with ways to pass the time during tax season so I started taking my kids to a few local classes. I found out the Museum of Art at BYU has free preschool and family classes once a month. Last Saturday we took advantage of the family class "Art Tales" and had such a fun time! We started by talked a little bit about France and then she read a version of Cinderella (did you know it was originally written by a Frenchman? I didn't). Then we went down to the J. Alden Weir exhibit and they would dress up some of the kids to look like someone from a painting who also could have been a character in the book. I thought it was pretty creative. For example, they dressed a little girl in a black dress and black hat and then we went and looked for this painting. She represented one of the stepsisters.This was Cinderellaand this was the fairy godmother. I really thought it was a pretty clever idea. Then the kids would observe the painting for a little bit and share any observations they saw. I really thought it was a good intro to art appreciation and I'm glad we went (not that my kids appreciated it. They both complained that it was boring and that they don't want to go back. Too bad! We're signed up through April!).Afterward we went back upstairs to an art room where the kids got to make their own puppets. Here's Lilly's Cinderella and Mabel's Rapunzel.Sophia is working on Jasmine. Lilly with her finished dollsand Sophia with her finished Jasmine. I'm taking Lilly back to the preschool class in a few weeks and I'm excited about it. I'm glad I discovered this.






We tried out another class today. I took Lilly and Mabel to Kindermusik.


I hope I don't offend any Kindermusik lovers out there but I thought it was a little on the goofy side. I felt like i was in an episode of Barney. Lilly wouldn't do anything and preferred to just lay on the ground. Mabel loved it and was definitely getting her groove on. I'm not sure we'll go back but if we do, I'll just take Mabel. It was fine and all but I thought I could accomplish the same thing in my own house. I was glad we tried it though and now I know what it's like.

I also started going to some exercise classes in town and have enjoyed them for the most part. They have a child care so it's nice that I don't have to go super early! I'm tried yoga a few times and have had a hard time getting into it. I kind of have the same thoughts about it as this woman. Have any of you discovered her blog yet? She is a hoot! You should seriously go read her posts right now. If anyone has any other ideas for classes (or just ways to not go crazy while getting through the February blah's) I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

One Fish said...

Maybe you should try out Art City Music in Springville. I've heard really good things. I thought that Kindermusik was kind of pointless too.