Thursday, September 25, 2008

FPU

Okay, first off, please disregard the irony of this post.

Now that that's out of the way, Doug and I recently signed up for this 13-week course that his company is offering called "Financial Peace University" (FPU). It's a course designed by Dave Ramsey and we pretty much go to Squire every Wednesday night and watch a video of him lecturing. In case you haven't heard of him he was a millionaire by age 26 through real estate in TN and then lost it all and went completely bankrupt. It's a pretty fascinating story. Needless to say, he's recovered and is doing well for himself by offering financial advice and through founding FPU. His whole concept is based on the following baby steps:
1. $1,000 emergency fund
2. Pay off all debt with the debt snowball
3. 3-6 months of expenses in savings
4. Invest 15% of income for retirement
5. College funding
6. Pay off your home early
7. Build wealth and give!
Nothing new but good advice.

Anyway, here's where the irony comes in. Last week, the day after our first class, I already had some errands to run and knew that I would be spending money and was feeling guilty about it. I came away with some pretty awesome deals though so I felt justified. My first stop was the Provo Craft Outlet in Lindon. If you haven't been, you much go. It's just off of State Street past Kneaders. Anyway, I got a big ceramic Easter candy dish, a weird bunny in a cage (that Sophia just had to have), cute wooden eggs to hang on the wall, 4 plates, 2 bowl, 1 scented oil thing, 1 1' Christmas Tree, 1 6' Christmas tree, 4 boxes of mini lights 2 6' pine garlands, 3 sets of velvet Christmas bows, and 1 bag of cinnamon pinecones for $22 - total! No joke! The 6' tree was only $8 and I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell it on Craigs list. Anyway, I was quite proud of myself.

My next stop was Target to pick up the girls pictures. I perused the awesome $1 bins for some cute Halloween stuff. One section of the $ bins was 75% off - therefore, everything was 25 cents! I got a bunch of photo albums, note pads, a pizza cutter and a giant plastic football platter
all for 25 cents each. I was truly amazed.

So anyway, that was one of my last shopping sprees for awhile now that we're building our emergency fund to make Dave happy. I just love a good deal (or two)!

2 comments:

The Mathews Family said...

The Dollar Stores and Dollar Spots are what get me EVERY time! That stuff does add up pretty quickly. I love listening to Dave's show on 570 at night. He's got sound advice, he's funny, and I love a lot of his sayings... like "stupid tax"! How exciting for you guys! That's great that Doug's work got it going.
-Jessica

The Favorite said...

I'll have to ask you more about the class later. We're working on most of those things. I am proud of your good finds!