Sunday, August 30, 2009

What a Fun Day!

A fun day was had by all in our house yesterday. Doug and Sophia got to go fishing with grandpa Wilkins and cousins and Lilly and I stayed home to can. I made raspberry jam, chocolate raspberry desert topping (delicious!), plum jam, peach pie fillling, peach salsa, salsa verde, tomatillo salsa, zesty salsa, and tomatoes. It was quite the project! Doug did help me with the 4 salsas after he was done fishing and a quick trip to the temple. I started the tomatoes around 9:30/10 pm and then saw that they had to process for 85 minutes! Does anyone have a different recipe for tomatoes or does it really just take that long? Anyway, needless to say I'm grateful to have all this done but not grateful that I finished so late. My favorites from the day are the peach salsa and chocolate raspberry sauce. I'm pretty sure that they're things my food storage is in dire need of. Everything I made came from this book. I love it and would highly recommend it! Doug and Sophia had a great time fishing! She couldn't stop talking about it and was pretty excited to go. She had a hard time sleeping the night before and was even willing to get up at 6 and go. She even caught a fish and was so proud. Doug caught 3 and was also so proud because he caught the most out of anyone.

Here's Sophia and cute Bridger waiting for the fish to come in. I like that I got a good action shot of JD in the background.
The cute fishermen.
Here's Sophia with the fish she caught. The fish seeking revenge on Sophia.
Scofield Resevoir
Watching her line.
Here's a random from last week. Sophia has been obsessed with stories lately. She's constantly asking us to tell her a story. We usually end up telling her some story from Doug's childhood like how his mom hated to put socks and shoes on him because he always complained about "the bumpies" (I wonder where Sophia gets it from) or when his parents dropped him off on the side of the road in Nebraska and drove away (both true stories). I guess we'd had enough of picking on Doug and so I told her about how when I was little and I loved to set up all my animals and have school. She decided that it sounded fun enough to give it a try. I was working on something downstairs and came up to find them doing this. I love when they play together! The happy assistant. (She would not look at the camera because she was so intent on making sure her baby was looking at the camera.)The class. I love how she included the princess mirror she got for her birthday. What a great 4 year old! She starts dance again tomorrow and preschool again next week. We're both excited about it!

7 comments:

ottspot said...

I don't know how you do it Jo! Canning one of those things would have been an all day project for me...not to mention throwing in a "quick" trip to the temple! I think the internet world needs your peach salsa and chocolate raspberry sauce recipes. I've never canned in my life, but those sounded too tempting!

Stacy Risenmay said...

That is pretty much all we did this summer... go fishing and canned! It all looks good! (especially the chocolate sauce)

Mylissa 2 said...

Wow amazing all the canning you did, I wish I could do that, I don't know if I have the energy! Your girls are cute playing school!

Emily said...

I'm so impressed by your domestic skills, Joanna! I wish we lived near each other so you could pass on your canning wisdom!
Thanks for the c-section advice. I didn't realize you had your babies that way.

Leda Johnson said...

Wow! You are the canning queen! I can't wait until I get a canner and a real garden!

Nancy said...

That is a great day! i can wait to get some canning done. My pantry has been empty of beans forever now and my mom has a really good pork recipe that I want to do too. Ill have to check out that book you use. It sounds interesting.

Lauren said...

WOWZWERS! You are amazing Jo! I am all worried about canning basics, like peaches and tomatoes! We definitely need to can together so I can glean some wisdom. And I agree, we need those recipes.