Friday, July 29, 2011

Food Week and Other Things

This week we had fun talking about food! It was fun to brush off some old things from my BYU Dietetics Program days including this book. I think my mom gave this to me at one point in school and I love it! My kids enjoyed it as well. I know the Food Pyramid is way old school by now and we've moved onto MyPlate (last I knew it was the newer pyramid that was more like a bar graph - apparently I'm not staying on top of things like I thought!) We also made food collages and tried to find a picture of at least one food in each group.We also of course had a little fun in the kitchen. I know this is not a healthy treat but there's room for a little bit right? I've never made cream puffs before and they were pretty easy and turned out ok.A little while ago Sophia asked me what mousse is. We decide to make some and put it in our puffs. They were pretty tasty!



We also talked a little bit about our senses (mostly smell and taste). We did an experiment where you put mustard under your nose and then eat a piece of chocolate to see how smells can effect taste. Sophia said it really didn't taste too different but she loves mustard so both tastes were great for her!
Here's a few random pictures. We were at my mom's house yesterday and she had these cute little tiara hair clips. My girls had a blast with them. I thought Mabel made for a sweet little princess.
She also enjoyed feeding herself yogurt the other day. Not sure how much actually made it in her mouth but it sure made her face cute! Sophia thought she looked like a clown.
Here's a few random pictures that were supposed to be in our last post. When we were in Flowell the girls got a little restless while we were waiting for the next activity. They would not stop asking me for something to do so I finally told them to build a bird's nest with leaves and grass. Here's what came up with. I love the pathway to the arch. That's my kind of bird's nest!

Finally here's one of Sophia and Bridger sharing a ride on the pogo stick at Wales. Two peas in a pod I tell ya.

No comments: