Saturday, July 30, 2011

Gross, Grosser, Grossest (and one Good)

I'm writing this mainly for my memory (not really sure it's something I want to remember - but the last part's good at least).

So yesterday we got home from playing with friends and I knew that my kids needed a bath. I also knew that the lawn needed to be mowed and that there was impending rain. It may come as a shocker to anyone who knows me, but I'm kind of a multi-tasker (in case it wasn't obvious). Anyway, I threw my kids in the bath and told Sophia to watch everyone and that I was going to go mow really quickly. I should probably win Mom of the Year for this one. Sophia really is good at watching Mabel and I wasn't too worried about it.

Anyway, we have a cherry tree in our backyard that has been dying for the last few years. We attributed it to old age and the fact that sometimes trees die. The grass grows right up to the trunk (really bad for trees, I know) and so I bumped the tree as I was mowing around it. Right then out of a crack of the base of the tree millions of earwigs came pouring out. It seriously was like a scene from a PBS special on earwigs. It was so gross! Those suckers seriously just kept on comin. I did not take the picture above (I didn't want to remember this experience that much) but it was pretty close to that gross. I screamed, freaked out and then ran to get the bottle of insecticide concentrate. I totally poured the whole bottle all over them and down the crack. I'm pretty sure I managed to give myself an early death from exposure but there was absolutely no time to measure and fill the sprayer with water.

Doug of course happened to be at Youth Conference and was not around to witness this wonderful scene. I was trying to do him a favor by mowing so that he wouldn't have to when he got home today and this is what I got. No good deed goes unpunished right?

I immediately came inside and texted him about the fiasco and my body was seriously crawling for hours. So creepy. I realized that we've had them in our house more lately but once again, I attributed that to the fact that sometimes you get a bug or two in your house. I've since realized there's a freaking infestation in our backyard and that it may be more of a problem that I thought! I have a brother-in-law who works for Stewarts Pest Control and he said that they've gotten really bad in the past few weeks. I can definitely attest to that.

Anyway, so after I came inside I realized that my kids were dressed in jammies and playing (except Mabel who was crawling around naked). I forgot that they had been in the bath and I wondered if the jammy fairy had stopped by and gotten them all dressed. Sophia said she washed everyone's hair, got them all out and got them all in jammies (except she didn't know how to get Mabel's diaper on but she did get her a diaper and jammies - side note: she has since made me teach her how to put Mabel's diaper on because I'm pretty sure with a mom like me, she knows the opporunity will arise again when she needs to get her baby sister dressed). I seriosuly was looking around to see who had helped them. I was so amazed and so proud of her. I can't believe how much she is growing. I'm pretty sure I'm ready to leave them with her the next time I go to the store. JK. Kind of.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

OH MY GOSH!! Thanks for making me feel all squeamish!! AHHHH That is so gross- But HOORAY for Sophie!! That is the best story ever! She is amazing! I'm pretty sure I would have come into a house full of naked boys. And no clean ones at that.

ottspot said...

EEEEEEWWWWWWW! I bumped into the corner of our house with the lawn mower once and a big wasp nest fell out of the corner siding. This is waaaayyy worse!

Lauren said...

Oh that is so gross. I have had tons of earwigs too--what's the deal??? Hopefully not that many!

Your multi-tasking made me laugh. You always do get a lot accomplished! It is nice to have a daughter first because they tend to be very responsible and motherly. Maddie is already helping me so much. If Ella can't reach something or Tyler is crying, Maddie comes to the rescue. Sometimes I have to remind myself she is 4 and can't do everything... and sometimes she reminds me herself. At the park yesterday I was distracted and she yelled, "Mom, are you even watching your daughter?!"