Wednesday, December 18, 2013

DC Part 2

The second day in DC I woke up bright and early and headed to the Bureau of Engraving and printing for a tour.  I'll admit.  It was cool to see but really was kind of boring.  I thought the coins were made here too but it was just bills.  Still pretty cool but I think I expected more.
 After that I stopped here super fast.  So depressing. Not sure why I went here.  It is a really good museum and definitely makes you think a lot.
 After that I went and met my cute friend Emily who lives out there at the Botanical Gardens. They were so fun to see!
 There's a train display set up right now with.  The theme was World's Fair. It was amazing!
 This was made out of leaves.  Amazing!
 I love this because it shows two different kinds of poinsettias.  They were beautiful!
 Emily and I.
 After that I really quickly stepped in the Native American Museum and that Air and Space Museum. Will definitely have to catch those in more detail the next time around.  Then I went and met Doug and Jim Matheson's office to start our capitol tour.
 Lewis was pretty excited to be there.
This was in a room called the crypt.  I wish I would have taken a full shot of this room but I didn't so I stole this one from the internets as well. This room holds up the whole dome of the capitol building.  Pretty cool.  It's called the crypt because they intended for George Washington to be buried here but he died before it wanted to be finished and wanted to be buried at Mt. Vernon anyway.
There's a star in the middle of the room that marks the location of the very center of Washington DC.
 The dome in the captiol
 George Washington in the mural at the top.
 I don't know why this is upside down but this showed where Lincoln's desk sat when he was a member of congress.
 Each state has a statue of someone famous from their state in the capitol. Here's brother Brigham representing Utah.
 The old Senate room.
 This is where the Supreme Court used to be.
 Replica of the Freedom statue on top of the building.
 More pictures from the dome room.
 After the capitol I took Doug back to the Library of Congress.  He was pretty impressed.
 After that we grabbed some yummy sandwiches from Potbelly and then crashed at the hotel!  Lewis got a bath which resulted in some crazy devil horns hair!

1 comment:

Jeff and Lexie Lou said...

Jo, I love these! You guys had so much fun. Lexie and I have been to DC twice in the past year and you've already seen more than us. Lucky!