Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Last DC Post - I promise!

So I know I've posted 5001 photos from our trip already but I just have 100 more to post (JK - almost).  Basically we crammed a weeks worth of stuff into 2 1/2 days so there was a lot that we saw!  The last day we were there we checked out of our hotel and then headed to breakfast at a delicious restaurant called Founding Farmers.  It was delicious!  I had eggs benedict (my FAVE) with a yummy farmers salad - seriously, best salad I've ever had.  Weird for breakfast I know.  I also had a chocolate egg cream (again weird for breakfast) but I've never had one and it was on the menu. Doug had a yummy artichoke goat cheese tart.  We also got carrot cake pancakes to share - because we didn't have enough food already (it's what we came for and we knew we'd be flying later and wouldn't have lunch or dinner!).  Everything was absolutely amazing!  The restaurant is owned by the North Dakota Farmers Association and they came to DC to be closer to lobbying for farmers.  They are all about fresh. They don't own a microwave or fridge.  It was definitely fresh and so yummy! If you're ever in the DC area I highly recommend it!
After that we headed toward the White House for a tour!  We passed this really cool building called "Executive Offices" right next to the white house. Sometimes I wonder what goes on in these secret buildings. I told Doug I bet the president really has his office in there.
 The White House!
 Doug in front of the Treasury Department. There was a statue in the front of a guy they called the "Financial Genius".  I told Doug that could totally be him someday.
 One the way to our tour.  There was beautiful greenery everywhere!  I loved this garland around the gate.
 Huge wreath on the gate.
 This was in the entryway going into the tour.  This picture does not do it justice.  This thing was HUGE!!! The vase was seriously taller than me.
 The candle things were huge too.
The decor was AMAZING!!!! They normally do not let you take pictures in the White House but we could because the "holiday decor" was up. It really made me wonder what it looks like without all the holiday stuff.  This little display was kind of like stripes down one of the walls. If you look close you can see it's made of tiny red berries, leaves and pinecone leaves (is that what they're called?) painted gold!
Gorgeous light fixture wreath thing.  The green and red thing in the back is the same thing as what I took a picture of up above.
 Cool patriotic tree.  We only saw about 6 rooms and about 30 trees.  It was crazy!
 Gorgeous patterny stuff everywhere!
 This tree was made out of books.  So fun!
 This is the white part in the middle of the tree on the picture above. They're open books that say "Share Your Story".  I thought they were laser cut like that but the pages were folded to look like that. Folded!
 Christmas cards from past presidents.
This year's card from the Obamas.
 More crazy greenery and stuff everywhere!
 Doug by one of the many trees.  I think this was in the state room.
 Crazy gorgeous mantle piece.
 With wreaths on the mirrors to match!  I LOVED the gold roses.
 Another tree.
 The Green Room.
 Another crazy mantle piece.
 Fresh flowers!  These arrangements were EVERYWHERE!!!  It was crazy and so beautiful. 
 This one was one of my favorites but mainly because of the base.
 If you looks closely you can see it's made out of rolled leaves.  Crazy!
The National Tree.  It was a patriotic theme this year to show support for the troops.
 Doug in the blue room.
The Red Room.  I think this is where the first ladies greet guests. Or something like that.
 More gorgeous arrangements.  Once again, the base is made of fresh items!
The State Room (I think).
 Fun wreath
 Gingerbread White House.
I absolutely LOVED this picture.  I thought it was such a neat thing to have hanging.  I know it sounds weird but DC definitely has a "spirit" about it.  I told Doug the only place I could compare the feeling I felt in most of those buildings to was the temple.  Definitely something missing at most of them but there's just such a feeling of reverence and solemnity in most of those buildings.
 White House selfie!
 Lewis in the White House. Proof he was there since he won't remember!
 And then it was over.  At least the outside looked cool too!
And here's the tour again with pics from Doug's camera.  Here I am about to go in.  If you look closely at the arrangement on the left of the main doors, that's the same one I posted a picture of at the beginning of this post. So huge!
 China in the China room.
 Sleepy Lewis in the State Room.  So many trees!
The White House Nativity scene. This thing was huge!  Floor to ceiling!  Pretty incredible and really neat to see included.
 I still can't believe how many fresh garlands were everywhere!
As you were leaving they had this choir singing.  They just so happened to be singing the Halleluiah Chorus as we were leaving.  Pretty incredible moment.  Something I won't soon forget!
 Another selfie as we were leaving.  Catch ya later White House!
Phew.  We made it.  After that we headed to the airport to come back home!  Lewis did ok on the flights.  Whenever he got sad we had to take him into the bathroom so that he could look at himself in the mirror.  That always cheered him up.  It was hilarious.  If the bathroom was occupied we'd have to pull out the cameras on our phones so that he could see himself.  A few times we would get a smile out of him but mostly we got faces like these.
 We were so glad to finally be home!  Thank you again mom and dad (and Stu and Hiromi) for watching our hooligans!  I know that was a huge undertaking and we're so grateful!!!!

The day after we got home it was Doug's birthday.  I was a little worn out and didn't want to make a cake so we settled for peanut butter bars.  Happy birthday Douglas!




3 comments:

Melissa said...

WOW those decorations are stunning!!! I love all the pictures!! Glad you guys had fun!!

Lauren said...

Amazing, Jo! I am thinking I need to get a job at the White House... doing flowers! Note to self to visit there during Christmas someday.

ottspot said...

So I am scrolling through your old posts looking for the one you had about going rock hunting and had to laugh because my brother's office is in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. So there is one thing that goes on in that building.