Monday, January 28, 2008

I don't want to change the picture


I love this picture of our beloved prophet. My friend Nancy gave it to me when she got married almost 4 years ago and I'm not sure I'm ready to take it down quite yet. I'll probably leave it up for awhile before I replace it with one of our next prophet. We like everyone else were saddened by the news of his passing last night. We are also experiencing bittersweet feelings and are happy that he's been reunited with so many loved ones above. I told Sophia this morning that he had passed away not really expecting her to understand but just because I wanted to see what happened. I told her President Hinckley died and that we would be getting a new prophet. A few minutes later she said, "President Hinckley's our prophet." I then told her that President Hinckley went up to heaven to be with Heavenly Father and Jesus and that we'd have a new prophet later. She thought about that for a minute and then said, "President Hinckley wants a muffin." Okay sure. I think she gets it. I just turned on the news to watch more about him and she said, "Look mom! President Hinckley came back!"

I was talking to my little brother about it last night and he said he heard at ward prayer. He said that they were reading a scripture and someone said the had received a text message that said President Hinckley had died. He said there was this akward silence and then everyone's cell phones started ringing. My mom said that there stake was supposed to have a big youth fireside with his personal secretary that had been announced for weeks but the secretary cancelled yesterday without an explanation. I think they all understood why last night.

As a side note, has anyone else noticed that the weather in Utah goes crazy when a prophet dies? I remember there being a micorburst or something when President Hunter passed away (I've been informed that it was actually when President Benson died but I also thought I remembered crazy stuff when President Hunter died) and last night it was so windy all night long. Right now there is still tons of wind and crazy blowing snow. Kind of interesting.

Anyway, here's a couple of pictures of what our girls have been up to. The other day while Sophia was having her "quiet time" since she refuses to have a nap, I thought she was playing or reading books or something without getting into too much trouble. After a little while I went to check on her and found that she'd gotten into her closet and into the baby stuff. She managed to take these bottle liners apart one by one and spread them all over her bed. That was fun to clean up!

Finally here's a cute smile that Doug got out of the Willers this weekend. I love it!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Cutest Smile Lilly! We will miss president Hinckely too- he was the best. He is probably very happy where he is and at least he has a muffin. Brandon said that Beth mentioned he is the only prophet she remembered- he was around for a while. I thought it was "Hurricane Benson" for when Pres. Benson died- ask mom. The weather here has been very sullen too- gray cloud cover and it has been very windy. Yesterday it was in the 60s! Crazy.

The Favorite said...

Lilly, looking so sweet with that smile. I'm glad that Sophs thinks Presdident Hinckley needs a muffin.

Lauren said...

Sweet thoughts, Jo. I love that pic you have of Pres. Hinckley. Wasn't it at the re-naming of the stadium or something? He looks so happy. My sis-in-law Sarah told us about that fireside cancelation.

What a beaituful smile little Lilly!

The Ullery Family said...

Okay - so Lilly is the sweetest thing in the world! I want to bundle her up and bring her home with me. (It's probably good I have McKenna or you may find yourself missing a daughter. I love the innocence of children. Sophia made me smile today. Tell her I said thank you! Love ya - Kimber