Thursday, July 2, 2009

They're Home!

Today was a fun day for us because we got to welcome home President and Sister Wilkins! They've been serving in Sao Paulo Brazil for 3 years and we were so happy to see them come home! It seems like just yesterday that we were hugging them goodbye and shedding happy tears but when you think about all that has happened (7 new grandchildren (they only had 9 when they left), a wedding, new son-in-law, lots of moves, etc.) they were gone forever! We headed over to their house this morning with 2 dozen yellow balloons in tow to get the house ready for their welcome home!





We made it to the airport with only a few minutes to spare and were happy to greet them off the plane. It was so good to see them again! Here's the President meeting his new son-in-law for the first time. We were all doing okay until Leda burst into tears and said "this is my husband dad". We all kind of lost it.


I wish I would have taken more pictures. I'll have to see what I can get from everyone else. All the kids wore their Brazillian soccer jerseys that Grandma gave them last summer and all looked so cute.


Pulling into the driveway.


We took a lot more pictures inside but of course we left out camera in the car. Once again, I'll have to see what I can get from other people. We did get one big group shot that I think turned out pretty nice. They brought back some fun things for the kids. They gave each one a notepad and pencil. The notepad had Brazil's national anthem written on the back. They also gave them some Brazillian change and a clay whistle. They also gave the girls dolls that a sister down there made for each one. They're so precious. We have some lucky girls!
They also gave these cute table runners to the girls. She said she had a really hard time finding things that were actually made in Brazil and not in China. She said these are pretty common down there. I thought it was cute.
Back in July my mom and I started taking a quilt class. The first time we went we were told the quilt we were making was going to be called "All Roads Lead to Home" at that it'd be done in July. I immediately thought that it'd be such a great homecoming gift for Doug's parents. Unfortunately we have one more class this month so I'm not totally finished. I gave it to them anyway and I thik they enjoyed it. I can't wait to get it totally finished. I wish I would have taken a picture with them and the quilt. I'll be sure to get one when the quilt is totally finished.
After all the welcome home festivities (which included enchiladas, applesauce, cottage cheese and Root Beer (all things they missed)) we went to my cute nephew's T-Ball game.
Is he not the cutest T-baller? Lilly enjoyed the game too.
Yesterday I got to take my cute niece and nephews to the park so that their mom and dad could pack. We are so happy for them but also so sad that they'll be moving to Pennsylvania next week! We're excited to have more family on the east coast but like I said, we're sad to see them go. The kids had such a great time playing together. They are so cute and so well be-haved!

7 comments:

ottspot said...

Okay so I'm not even involved and I can't believe it has been 3 years! I was just realizing that is has been over 2 years since I graduated from law school. That is seriously disgusting...I still feel like "I'll take this week easy and then I'll be recovered from school and will really get on a schedule." School was 3 years so I guess it will take me 3 years to get over it! I'm happy for the whole Wilkins family and that grandma and grandpa get to be home to enjoy all those grandkids again!

The Favorite said...

Great pictures. We all laughed at the one of Lily up close- especially Bruce.

The Favorite said...

I mean Lilly.

Jennifer Lyn said...

That is so exciting that they are home! I really want to see your quilt. We are excited to see you guys soon!

Alice-Anne said...

I remember when they left...wow, three years goes by fast! (Esp for me who's not really connected with a situation, huh?) Exciting month!

Melissa said...

Fun pictures and I'm glad you guys made it to the airport! :) What a fun time having them home and a happy welcome with all the balloons. Fun t-ball, does Sophs want to play next?

stu said...

Wow 3 years already! I'm sure it felt like longer to the family. Welcome back! (Does this mean you have to surrender the 'burban?)