Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Birthday and Father's Day

We had such a fun birthday and Father's Day weekend!

On Friday we went to the Manit Pageant with our ward. We really debated if we should go or not but our kids were looking forward to it and we wanted to to see it so we went for it and we were glad we did. Sophia loved it. She kept saying "This is just like Book of Mormon Stories!" My favorite was halfway through when they were talking about the Nephites and their belief in God she looked up at me and said, "I believe God and I love God too."

We got home late and then got up bright and early the next day to pick up my Bountiful Basket and then headed to our ward breakfast. After breakfast we came home and opened presents. Doug printed these pictures from our Goblin Valley trip and had the kids color the mats. I love them! I thought it was such a cute idea. He also printed one of them together. I love Sophia's mat and all the work she put into it. The purple circles on the left are glass slippers and the blue paper underneath is a soccer ball. On the right is a lady bug and some water. I really like the picutre of me at the bottom and the one of Doug at the top. She's the best. Lilly did a great job too.

Doug also gave me some new silverware (the set we got for our wedding 7 years ago has slowly been dwindling and we're down to about 3 forks). He also gave me a gift card to Old Navy so that I can get some post maternity clothes. After that we took the girls to lunch and then to see Toy Story 3. I loved it! Ken was definitely the best part. It totally made me cry though! They sure know how to do it. Anyway, it was for sure better than the 2nd one and may be my favorite of all 3. After the movie we walked around Cabella's for a little while and then dropped the kids at Doug's parents so we could go to dinner. It was nice to have a little break. After dinner Doug gave me the option to go to Color Me Mine, mini golf, or swing at a park. Unfortunately it was getting late and we were both so stuffed and tired that all we wanted to do was get our kids and go home and go to bed (we're pretty exciting people). We both decided to take a raincheck on an activity and go home.

It was such a fun birthday and I was so spoiled. I told Doug the only reason why he was so good to me for my birthday was because he knew the next day was Father's Day and that it was going to be his turn to be treated like a king. I got a fun gift from my mom full of things that my kids went crazy over and a few things from friends in the ward. My amazing friend (who builds her own furniture) is starting a birthday party blog and has been making cakes for it. She made me this one and I loved it! It was sooooo yummy and almost too cute to cut into! I'll be sure to post her link once her blog is up and running. She's amazing! Thanks again Stacy!
She also made these cute ladybugs. This was after Sophia had eaten about 10 of them. I was luck to get a picture!

On Sunday we made breakfast in bed for Doug and then he opened his gifts. The girls made him a candy poster (and then snuck in to our room later and ate almost every candy bar by themselves) and we got him a few other things. I made him this Daddy's Tie quilt. It turned out to look more like a baby's quilt than I'd hoped. It works though and it was fun to make.
That night we went to my family's for more celebrating and then to Doug's parents to see his dad. It was a great day! The best part was Sophia went up all by herself to sing with the primary (she did a great job!) and then gave the talk by herself (with me whispering in her ear). She said every word though and I was very proud of her. When she sat down her teacher asked me what I gave her to bribe her to give the talk. I think it was the fact that this was the fourth time she's given the talk this year (can she please have the prayer next time?) and so she'd had plenty of practice.
Yesterday the fun continued with a trip to the zoo and aquarium. My amazing SIL Lexie tagged along and was such an amazing helper! It was so nice to have her join us. We didn't stay too long (thank heaves for zoo memberships!) but long enough to ride the train and carousel. The kids loved it.
Lilly was thrilled to take a picture with me.
After the zoo we made a quick stop at the aquarium. Lexie and my niece Emma joined us. Once again, I was so grateful to have them! I thought that I would do okay but I was surprised at how quickly I got exhausted! I am definitely ready to have this child!
Overall, it was such a great weekend and for end to the summer for me. I'm looking forward to having this baby and doing nothing but sitting on the couch with some popsicles, a good book and a snuggly baby (I hope) for the rest of the summer.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Glad you had a happy happy birthday Jo! It's okay to be boring... we are too. And you have a 9 month prego belly to blame it on. :)

The stories about Sophie are so sweet! I love when they prove to you that they are listening and developing little testimonies of their own. The Manti pageant is the best! We talked about how Maddie would have loved it. Maybe next year.

Melissa said...

that is the cutest idea to do with the mats- I love it! Those pictures are adorable too! Wow- love them. The cake is amazing, but I already told you. I also love the strawberries- what a great idea! Fun Trips with Lexie too! Wish I could have been there!

Melissa said...

Oh yeah and I LOVE the quilt!!! You are amazing!! I only know how to make aprons...