Friday, February 15, 2008

What a perfect day!

I (we) had such a fun and perfect Valentines Day yesterday so I had to share. We woke up to about 8 new inches of snow and since Doug only had one class he thought it would be okay to stay home and spend the day with us. Here's a picture of the amount of snow we have in our back yard. It's about 16". Notice the little bit of grass sticking out at the bottom.
After getting ready for the day we went out to play in the new snow. Sophia helped him build this awesome snow fort complete with a snow bench and slide.


Sophia loved it so much! She would have stayed outside and played all day if we would have let her. It was a lot of fun for her.

After coming back inside and having lunch I stayed with the girls while Doug went shopping for a surprise dinner he had planned for that night. When he got home he sent me and the girls downstairs for a few hours so that he could get dinner ready. While we were down there Sophia proceeded to take about 50 pictures with the camera. These were a few of the best ones.


After he was ready I came upstairs to this.

He's so sweet! I love that he even decorated the table so cute! He gave me the crystal with the heart on it for Valentine's Day when he was on his mission. So sweet, I know.
The dinner he made was so yummy! He made Carrabba's Chicken Bryan (our favorite!) complete with sundried tomatoes and real goat cheese. It was soooooo yummy! He also steamed vegetables using this cool method of using aluminum foil balls that he saw online.

He also made yummy pasta with a pesto sauce that he made from scratch! I was truly impressed and it tasted absolutely delightful!

For dessert he made homemade Oreo Madness. Last weekend we went to TGIFriday's with the sole purpose of having yummy Oreo Madness. Much to my dismay they don't serve it anymore! I was totally bummed! If you feel the same way I do, apparently there's some petition online you can sign to bring it back. Anyway, apparently I complained too much about it because he remembered my dissapointment and made it for me. He really is the sweetest husband!

After dinner I put the kids to bed while he cleaned up and then he gave me this video that he had made. It was so neat! It was a little "video diary" he had made where he shared his side of the story of how we met, fell in love, got married, etc. and how he felt about the births of each of our girls. It was really so neat and I'm so glad to have something like this. I can't believe he took the time to make this. It was almost 30 minutes long so it must have taken forever! He even got Sophia and Lilly to say a few words. It was so cute! It truly is a treasure and something that I will definitely keep for posterity's sake (and maybe something we should watch every Valentine's Day:)). Then he pulled out an air matress he bought me (he was just pulling out surprises all night!) because I've always wanted one and I fell asleep watching "Sleepless in Seattle" - such a classic Valentine movie.

Anyway, it truly was the perfect day and I love my husband so much for making it so! I hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's as well!

8 comments:

Nancy said...

Doug really is a romantic at heart, isn't he! Sounds like it was a really fun day!! We were lucky we made it to a movie!

Lauren said...

Wow, Doug really pulled out all the stops!!! I am impressed that he can cook so well. Not to dis my hubby, but he doesn't know anything about cooking. :) The video is so thoughtful. I'm glad Lilly said a few words for it. hehe

That snow fort is so cool! I've never thought of using a bucket. Good idea.

Lauren said...

By the way, I would love recipes for all that stuff! The chicken, veggies, pasta, even dessert! It sounds delicious.

James and Tiff said...

Ahhhh. That is great. For being best friends, Doug must have taken all of the romantic/thoughtfulness and James took the "is it broke so I can fix it?" side! Just kidding! They both do a great job! I would love the recipes too:) Especially for the oreo madness- yummy!

Emily said...

So cute! What a creative guy! I love that slide in the fort, I am sure they had fun!

Ricki said...

Go Doug! What a romantic. I am so impressed!

Sarah said...

Holy Cow Doug I think you out did most of the other hubbys in the world! What are you going to do next year to beat that? You just dug yourself a hole. :) Happy valentines guys.

The Favorite said...

What a great husband!!! That is so sweet of him with dinner and presents, too cute. I especially loved Sophie in the snow too, she looks great in the one where she closed her eyes.