Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thankful Turkeys

Last night for FHE we talked about being grateful and early Thanksgivings in America. A few years ago my awesome friend Nancy gave me a book with different traditions and ideas for each holiday. I LOVE it and I seriously pull it out for every holiday. Thanks again Nancy! One of the ideas that it had was to get different colored feathers and go around and have everyone say something they are grateful for that is that color. We didn't have colored feathers but colored paper sufficed. We also read Abraham Lincoln's Thanksgiving Proclamation. I didn't even know this document existed! It was pretty cool to read. It was also interesting (and a little depressing) to think that the President would never be able to deliver a speech like this in this day and age. Way too many religious references and that's kind of sad. Anyway, we also made our Thankful Turkeys. Mabel's looked more like a Thankful Dove but that's ok. It was fun to see all the things we're thankful for:

Mabel: Milkies, sisters, my bed, Critter (her little turtle that plays music that she sleeps with)
Lilly: Friends, family, sisters, house, treats
Sophia: Apples, mom and dad, sistirs, firends, orangiis (her spelling, not mine)
Me: The Gospel, my amazing Douglas, my sweet girls, my warm home, my health and body
Doug:Plan of Happiness, Joanna, 3 crazy girls, health, music.

I thought it was kind of fun to see how many of us shared the same the top 5 things we're grateful for. Looks like it takes pretty much the same things to make all of us happy.
Here's a random shot of some cuteness during FHE. This baby cracks me up!

And here's the 3 beauties enjoying their breakfast before church on Sunday. They all wanted to eat on the same chair (Mabel insisted on having a straw even though she had no milk in her bowl). After I got them all settled Sophia said, "Mom. You have got to take a picture of this. I think this is the first time we've all eaten breakfast on the same chair". She was right. Definitely a moment to document and I'm glad I did!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Their hair looks so cute!! I wish I could do my kids hair in the morning like that- but I would probably get tired of it fast. The turkeys look awesome! What a great idea- I'll have to do that this Monday. Also is Mabel wearing a velour leopard print sweat suit! What the? Since when did she become so chic!

The Favorite said...

Your beautiful sister in NY, sister in law in NY, and aunt in NY... somehow you forgot to type those on your lists.

Nancy said...

Thankful turkeys! What a cute idea. I think we'll have to do that too!! Its fun to teach little ones all these things and see what it looks like through their eyes. Glad your holiday book gets used!

Anonymous said...

Love the Post--I am Thankful for it! Also enjoyed Lincoln's proclamation. Interesting that he gets the credit for the holiday, but it was a woman, Sarah Hale who worked and wrote for 38 years trying to get the holiday established nationally before Lincoln finally agreed to her pleas. Check out her picture book sometime: The Woman who saved Thanksgiving!

Tonya said...

You have the CUTEST girls! We are THANKFUL for them :-) (Oh, yeah....and for you and Doug too!)